Birth of the Forest 17.

THE HOKAGE TOWER, KONOHAGAKURE

Shikamaru stood in front of the Hokage as she read the proposal with scrutinizing eyes. The chuunin was nothing if not intelligent...he was being touted as a potential tactical prodigy of the likes of the Niidaime Raikage, the greatest tactician to ever live. He was being mentored by his illustrious father Nara Shikaku in the technical aspects of battle tactics and had risen high in that command structure.

There was no help for it, though, not with the delicate balance that held the nations together. The so-called 'Rookie 9' had specialized in their own strengths, making their graduating batch renowned as the strongest and most talented batch of Genins since Uchiha Itachi had himself graduated.

Some had even made Jounin, thought Shikamaru idly as he observed the Hokage perusing his report. Neji had maintained his reputation as the most talented Hyuuga to ever grace their clan as he made Jounin in just two years after Genin. Hiashi often claimed in the council that the purity of Neji's Byakugan was alike to the first of their clan.

His thoughts were pushed aside as Tsunade looked up at him with a considering expression.

"It is an interesting proposal, Shikamaru. Rather bold, I daresay. You know that Orochimaru has holed up in Oto with all those missing-nins surrounding him...he has not been seen for the last three years. It will be an exceptionally tough mission if approved" said Tsunade sternly, peering up at the Chuunin.

"That is true, Hokage-sama. But we need someone to infiltrate Otogakure to acquire information on its defences. My father has received intel that Orochimaru has acquired a battalion of Iwa nin to bolster the outer wall structure. Akatsuki are building their strongholds quite slowly, but they are doing so surely" he said.

Tsunade nodded slowly. "True. Orochimaru is secretive and sneaky, and I am afraid he is planning nothing good. Who would you suggest to go on this mission to Oto?"

"Any ninja specializing in stealth would do, Hokage-sama" said Shikamaru, but his fact tightened as he emphasized, "An ideal team would be composed of ANBU, this is a very high level mission. But we might need an S-class ninja to participate, I am afraid. Orochimaru is too sneaky not to anticipate such an attempt"

"S-class Ninja are in short supply, Shikamaru" said Tsunade acidly. "Kakashi might be one, but his sole responsibility for the moment is training Sasuke. People would laugh if I started doing missions myself. There is really no one else capable of handling Orochimaru in Konoha except a very select few"

"What about Jiraiya-sama?" asked Shikamaru curiously.

"We have not had word from him or Naruto recently, they seem to have disappeared from the face of the earth" said Tsunade with frustration. "Even Kushina knows nothing, she has her hands full with that Mizukage...I want to go and give that stupid Kage a piece of my mind for keeping a foot out of the door for so long!"

"We must make do with the Raikage and Kumo, Hokage-sama" said Shikamaru. Despite Kushina-sama trying her hardest to bring Mizu, despite the friendship the Mizukage professed with her...Shikamaru shook his head. The village of Mist was turning out to be the one wild card in the entire affair. They were choosing neutrality in this time!

"I think so" said Tsunade. "Akatsuki will be making their move soon. We must be ready to send teams to Kumo at a moment's notice. The Ichibi should be protected at all costs, as should the Niibi. I have received intel; most likely the attack will not be large scale. An ambush is expected"

"I can help predict attack possibilities, Hokage-sama. It should help to make our deployment more focused" said Shikamaru. Tsunade nodded.

"Do so. I expect the report in three days' time" she ordered, and Shikamaru disappeared immediately with a Shunshin. He ran through the main streets of Konoha towards the library, jumping up and above several rooftops as he did so. His mind ran several scenarios to solve the problem posed to him, considering and rejecting several possibilities simultaneously.